Searching for a Maryland DUI Lawyer?
Do you need a DWI defense attorney or a DUI lawyer in Maryland to assist you with your case or to represent you in court? There are many DUI defense strategies and approaches attorneys can use to help you fight these charges. However, as with all legal matters, your defense will need to be tailored to your case. A good DUI lawyer will explain the charges against you and work with you to provide the defense you need.
The law firm of Houlon, Berman, Finci, Levenstein, Skok & Sandler has extensive experience defending those charged with DWI or DUI in MD. We know which defenses to employ to help you avoid Maryland DWI/DUI penalties.
Our Greenbelt and Rockville DUI lawyers can help those facing DWI/DUI charges in Montgomery County, Anne Arundel County, and the surrounding communities.
If you need legal assistance to avoid being convicted of a DWI/DUI in Maryland, the attorneys at Houlon Berman are here to help. Schedule your free consultation today.
DWI vs. DUI in Maryland
DWI and DUI are levels of charges related to driving while impaired by, or under the influence of, alcohol or controlled substances. DWI, or driving while impaired, is the lesser charge, whereas DUI, or driving under the influence, is more serious.
A driver can be charged with DWI and DUI with any blood alcohol concentration (BAC) in Maryland. However, according to Maryland blood alcohol limits, a BAC of 0.08% or higher can be evidence of DUI per se or on its own.
Police officers may pull drivers over to test their blood alcohol concentration in Maryland if they suspect motorists are driving while impaired or under the influence of alcohol or drugs. They may also detain drivers at sobriety checkpoints, particularly if their behavior is suspicious.
While citizens may refuse to have their BAC tested, this could lead to license suspension and other penalties, depending on whether it is their first DUI offense. Click here to learn more about MD DWI/DUI penalties.
How Attorneys Fight DUI Charges
It is the state’s responsibility to prove you were operating a vehicle while drunk or on drugs. Therefore, to beat a DUI, you must be able to defend against the state’s claims or argue that legal errors were made in your case. Keep in mind that the best way to ensure that your defense is presented properly is to hire an experienced DUI defense lawyer with strong knowledge of Maryland DUI laws. Attorneys often use the following arguments to defend these cases:
- Being intoxicated and in a car is not always enough evidence to be convicted of a DUI. The police must prove the suspect was either driving the vehicle or in a position to operate the vehicle. This can be difficult, especially in cases where no witnesses can attest to who was operating the vehicle.
- A court can dismiss evidence obtained when a police officer did not have probable cause to stop, detain, or arrest the suspect. Roadblock cases may fall in this category.
- If a police officer failed to read the proper Miranda warnings to the suspect, any statements made during the stop may be suppressed.
- If the police officer did not warn the suspect about the implications of refusing a field sobriety test, this can affect any legal case or license suppression stemming from the incident.
- The opinion of a police officer regarding whether a suspect was under the influence of alcohol can be questioned, especially if witnesses were present who believe the suspect was sober.
- Many problems exist with field sobriety tests. Some breathalyzers, for example, register chemical compounds that may be found on human breath that are not alcohol. Radio interference can also negatively impact readings. If field sobriety equipment is not properly maintained, it can produce skewed readings.
- Any field sobriety test is inaccurate if administered during the absorptive phase, which generally occurs within 45 minutes of taking a drink. It can also be difficult to extrapolate the results of a field sobriety test back to the time at which the alcohol was consumed.
These are just some of the many approaches for beating a DUI charge.
Contact a DWI/DUI Defense Attorney
If you need a DUI/DWI defense attorneys in Maryland to help with your case, contact us online today to schedule a free consultation. Let our attorneys give you the personal attention required to help you fight these charges.
The law firm of Houlon, Berman, Finci, Levenstein, Skok & Sandler is the proud holder of a Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ certification of AV®. Let us assist you with criminal and traffic law in Maryland and the District of Columbia, including Potomac, Bethesda, Rockville, Silver Spring, Hyattsville, Greenbelt, College Park, and Upper Marlboro.
Return to the Houlon Berman Homepage