Where can I file for divorce?

You can file for divorce in Maryland if you or your spouse have resided in Maryland for at least one year prior to the filing of the Complaint for divorce or if the grounds for divorce occurred in Maryland.

For example, if adultery is your grounds for divorce and the adultery occurred in Maryland, neither you nor your spouse need to be a Maryland resident for one year prior to filing for divorce.

However, at least one spouse must be a “bona fide” resident of Maryland when the Complaint for divorce is filed. Thereafter, either spouse may change residences and still maintain the divorce action in Maryland.

Whether someone is a “bona fide” resident is determined by the person’s intent, best shown by where they live and vote.

Maryland divorce actions in Montgomery County are filed in the Circuit Court for Montgomery County, 50 Maryland Avenue, Rockville, Maryland 20850.